PCOD also known as Polycystic Ovarian Disease happens to be a multi-organ disease or health condition which occurs due to hormone imbalances among women. It is also referred to as hyper androgen affected disease, which cannot be cured but can be controlled.
What is Pcod?
Follicles develop and they do not mature into eggs. The follicles do not remain as follicles but turn into cysts. During each menstruation cycle the formation of cysts affect the hormonal imbalance in a woman, thus causing more formation of cysts. This continues as a vicious cycle of formation of cysts. Hormonal imbalances result in disruption in menstrual cycle, which in turn could lead to infertility problems. In fact, Pcod is a major hormonal imbalance among women and a major cause for infertility among them.
Causes for seeking medical treatment for Pcod
- Disruption of menstrual cycle as well as infertility
- Excessive hair growth and problems on account of excessive weight. One’s self-esteem will be low in case one is obese
- Metabolic derangements. Abnormalities in blood fat levels that is lipid levels
- Insulin/glucose sugar levels
- Increased blood pressure that is problem of hypertension
Symptoms of Pcod
- Excessive hair growth
- Irregularity in menstruation
- Enlarged ovaries, cystic
How is Pcod diagnosed?
- One must consult a gynecologist
- Laboratory tests study the male hormone level
- Imaging techniques are used to observe the cysts in one’s ovary
- Ultrasound technology
- MRI as well as CT scan to see if there are any tumors. The CT scan can be done through an Xray and injecting of dyes
What are the remedies?
- Those suffering from Pcod are advised to take pills for birth control as it will help in normalizing menstruation flow
- Laparoscopy surgery can be performed if needed, whereby holes are drilled into the walls of the ovaries so that eggs can come out
- One must have a healthy diet
- Sufficient exercise
Is acne caused due to Pcod?
In case one never had acne earlier, but is now suffering from it and is also subjected to mood swings and irregular periods, then it is possible that one is suffering from Pcod. One also gains weight.
Women who suffer from Pcod have a higher enzyme activity that causes conversion of testosterone into DHT . This rather sudden increase in DHT hormone can trigger off the sebaceous into expanding further, thus producing more oil and causing acne.
How does Pcod cause stress?
Regular yoga exercises helps in treating Pcod. As it is endocrine problem, regular yoga practice and breathing exercise (pranayama)can help in regulating polycystic ovaries.